Submitted: 07-08-2008 by kayakJC

I had been comparing the Pungo 120 vs. the Old Town Dirigo 120. I found they both have pros and cons, but fairly similar overall. My cousin and I were able to try both kayaks during the Paddle-Fest at LL Bean in Freeport, Maine.

The one thing we both noticed right away was how straight the Pungo went, Too straight! (other people have also mentioned this on this review forum) It seemed like I had to almost stop to get it to go in a diff. direction. The Dirigo tracked great and turned a lot better. Both were just as stable as each other.

I found the foot pegs in the Pungo to be more easy to accidentally move. The Seats were totally different and that would be the riders preference. The Pungo cockpit was larger and the front nose lower which I would imagine the combination would allow more water into the cockpit in rough conditions.

The Dirigo has quicker storage covers (two twist knobs) but the Pungo's may seal better??? Dirigo's have way more bungee-cords on the top of them, which I find very useful. I found them to be similar in speed but have heard the Pungo is a bit faster.

I checked out the Duralite Pungo; Didn't seem too Durable. Very thin and full of bumps and dents while still in showroom cond. (saw 3 duralite's in all). I've read great reviews on both and have heard of many people who prefer the Pungo. So it was at first a very hard decision for me, but after trying them out and deciding what "I" really wanted out of a kayak. I bought the Dirigo (as did my Cousin) and am very satisfied with it.

My recommendation to buyers would be to TRY them out to see what "YOU" like in a kayak. Good Luck!