Submitted: 07-08-2008 by sketchboxcreative

I just inherited the Cruiser II. Someone had stored it on a Sea-Doo trailer and not adjusted the trailer support rails to properly fit the craft, collapsing the hull somewhat between the port gunwale and keel. I fixed the width of the supports and applied internal pressure on the hull, which, over the period of about a week, has done wonders. I don't think it will ever regain its shape completely, but I'm sold on roto-molded small boats and their capacity for taking a beating with good recovery! I don't think the hydrodynamics were affected dramatically, and this is certainly not a racing craft, so the performance reduction is nominal, to be sure.

I took it out on a relatively calm lake with periodic chop and minor-medium winds. VERY stable craft. I love to canoe, but this little rig is more stable than anything I've ever paddled without an outrigger. Gear storage is very good, and after six hours of water time, perhaps a few tablespoons of water had gotten into the boat, and only after a few squirrelly kids had taken it out for a while, making a concerted effort to rock and splash the craft and each other. The rudder makes for effortless orienting, a positive mark when my young and inexperienced paddlers are sitting in front, hacking at the water.

It is a little cumbersome to move around. 70 lbs seems like a lot more when it's so large, but it seems very rugged. I'm looking forward to getting another one or two kayaks like it.