Submitted: 07-07-2008 by Bloss

I bought this boat a month ago (the 2008 model) and am generally quite impressed with it. The Easky 13 has a great deal of both primary and secondary stability. It has good glide, heels over to the edge of the cockpit without capsizing and turns easily with a lean. Speed is reasonable good as well. The hull is quite stiff for a plastic boat and it has nice lines to boot. This boat allows the paddler to feel very connected to the boat and hence the water.

The hatch covers have been water tight so far, though stretching them to close takes some effort. The skeg does a very nice job of helping the boat to track straight in wind and waves and I wouldn't want to give it up. This boat has sold me on the advantages of a skeg system.

My only complaint is the seat. While not terrible it does pinch my buttocks across the back after about an hour. I attribute this to the bench seat which evidently was designed for someone with an unusually large derriere. That leaves me out. My wife has the 2007 version with the bucket seat and I have no problem with that, it is very comfortable for me. I wish they had left it as it was - although the thoracic extension is a nice touch.

Other than that though, it's an excellent boat for the price with very high quality plastic and construction. It does a good job of housing larger paddlers and providing a reassuring sense of overall stability while offering a high degree of maneuverability and seaworthiness. It is definitely a quality water craft. I recommend it to anyone searching for a kayak in the light touring class who does not have a skinny butt.