Submitted: 07-05-2008 by kheyashunka

Completed my Arctic Hawk build in time for my annual summer solstice trip to the Apostle Islands.
The Kit and CONSTRUCTION - (8).
Delivery was a bit confused , I finally personally delivered another guys kit stuff to his house because the CLC folks don't use UPS, and the delivery company rep was a BIMBO. I got the kit in January and inventoried it and was missing parts. I called CLC and they seemed confused as to what the kit consisted of and tried to tell me that the part I was looking for did not exist, but I emailed them a photo of the the x1 part, there were supposed to be x2. Understandble, they do a lot of kits. Everything was set to go, I installed a heater in my garage (10), on -20F days I could keep it a nice easy 70F in the garage and my electrical bill was only $200 a month (-10).

I started the build the second week of March. The Hawk comes with the much touted manual and it was good resource to have. I also got "The ZEN of Woodboat building" video as a PNET perk, it was not applicable to the Arctic Hawk build methodology. The construction takes time and patience which I had plenty of, winter was long. Towards the end of the build I felt that my hardner was dwindling so I bought another quart, I really only needed another pint, but I did need more than was supplied. I didn't over use it either. I never had any issues with epoxy curing and I only created 2 little pucks. And the kayak is less than 45lbs.

Not supplied in the kit construction pieces: I chose to put in an optional retractable skeg kit (10) (a nice carbon fibre job) direct from Superior Kayaks, and to put in the invisible hatch hold down kit (4); no drill footbrace studs (10), preformed minicell foam seat all supplied by CLC. They didn't require that much additional epoxy. I painted the hull with Interlux Brightsides Marine Poly I got through CLC, but I could have gotten it cheaper locally I learned later. I used it too create graphics as well. I used Interlux Schooner Varnish for the deck which stayed natural and applied it over the hull to protect the graphics.

ON THE WATER.(10) Launched June 18.
Cons. Hatches leaked, performance (4). The gasket material supplied was weather stripping and it had to be trimmed for the invisible hatch kit, it is spongy and the hatches soaked in water excessively. I tried the bungies tight and it pulled the rear hatch out of position. Loose was better, still wet.
After the 5-day shakedown cruise, I changed the gasket with scotch mastic tape. Very much better but still leaky.
Ocean cockpit and my homemade tuitsoq were perfect together, cockpit was very dry.

Having an affinity for hard chine greenland style kayaks, I loved the Hawk right away. It static braced with ease, I could perform every roll in my vocabulary with it. So all the skills that I developed for self recovery were going to fit in nicely.

It is quick, nice crusing hull speed and easy to maintain pace. Crossings were quick and true(skeg). It was pretty nimble in the sea caves and I had it packed to the gills. Regardless of all the old hype, it is a classic weather cocking greenland boat. It is probably weathercocking right now in the garage, so installing the retractable skeg was a wise choice, it worked flawlessly and effectively and it deploys adjustably.

Mine is the most beautiful kayak on the water today.