Submitted: 07-02-2008 by Chris

I rented a Loon 138 a few weeks ago for a few hours on the Rifle river (Michigan) to see if I wanted to get into kayaking. I love it and went right to this site to check reviews of kayaks in my price range. I found some good reviews of the Perception Sundance and found one on sale for $350.

One of the main things I was concerned about is the weight limit. I weight about 235, 6 feet tall. The perception had a 350 weight capacity so I bought it. It was a nice boat but I looked like a fat man in a little boat and it was not really very comfortable, so I returned it. I went directly to a Old Town dealer and got the Loon 138 since I knew how it would handle already. It cost a little more($500 on sale) but it is so worth it.

I take it to local lakes every couple days and I already feel very comfortable in it. It is very roomy, even for me. I feel stable and it and I can relax and enjoy paddling and checking out the wildlife instead of trying to keep my balance. This probably is not for the advanced kayaker, but for me or anyone starting out I would recommend this kayak as a great boat.