Submitted: 07-02-2008 by mkcfool
The Inuk is a speedy sea kayak. Built for racing, it is also an excellent boat for day workouts. in 500/1000 meter sprints my very first time out in the boat, with a conventional paddle I recorded 6.5/6 MPH, without paddling that hard. For a boat that is only 19 inches wide and 18 feet long, the stability is surprising (on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 7). I am an intermediate level paddler, and I have no trouble keeping this boat upright. It feels a little tippy at first, but the (so-called) secondary stability is great. You can definitely lay this boat on it's edge. The construction is first rate. The boat is built for either 'knees up' or you brace against the sides in heavier or following seas. The Inuk comes in three constructions, Fiberglass, Carbon/foam core, or double carbon. All three are very light at 52, 44 and 39 pounds respectively. The foot brace/rudder board is rather ingenious. The lower board is fixed for good leg drive, and the upper board is on a pivot for steering with the rudder. Just flick your toe to engage the rudder. The Inuk rates a 10!