Submitted: 07-01-2008 by DJB

I had several problems with the Cooper.
First, the skin (the newer version) developed a hole at the end of the zipper line shortly after purchase. Next, the cock-pit coaming, the foam piece is too fat. It doesn't fit well and comes off with every wet-exit, and re-entry. The spray skirt will not stay on. The inside cock-pit coaming also comes apart where it is attached to the top longerhorn in both the front and the back. This creates major safety concerns for me involving rescue and re-entry procedures. Next, the foot braces come off where they are attached to the number 2 rib. Finally, this boat is made for larger paddlers. For those under 5 foot 6 ( I am 5-2) it is impossible to do any kind of brace or roll. I would fall out just trying to lean the boat over on its secondary stability.

I am giving this boat a higher rating than it deserves. The reasoning is because I believe it is a great recreational, flat water kayak for short-distances. It would work well for those who do a lot of airline travel. Those considering this kayak should consider carefully the limitations of its design.