Submitted: 06-30-2008 by yukon_dan98

I've owned my Yukon expedition since 2000, but have owned and paddled the Yukon Tour since 1997. I bought both of these boats in Whitehorse Yukon, paddled various stretches of the Yukon and tributaries, class I, II, and glacial fed class III rivers in Alaska. I've toured southeast Alaska, island hoping and camping for a week at a time, with and w/o rudder. In tidal waters the rudder is helpful, and fun to paddle. Compared to a sea kayak on open water, it's like a sports car, albeit regulated speed due it it's wide/forgiving hull. Stick to a sea kayak if you are a serious ocean kayaker. I've whitewatered the yk tour (boat sans bulkheads), and even rolled them with a weekend camp load. Taken my share of swims on faster moving tight rivers, and wouldn't rate it as a 10 for river a runner, but makes a great self support boat for big water like the Colorado, or ideally, the Yukon, MacKenzie, Liard, Snake..... you get the picture. Load her up and have fun!

Thunder Bay Tourism: