Submitted: 06-27-2008 by Allen N.

Two years ago yesterday, I bought a 16' Pelican canoe. 3 days ago I took it out with my wife for only the 7th time. We were about 2 hundred yards up the river when my seat broke sending me to the bottom of the canoe. I had to put my tackle box under the seat for balance. I was stunned to say the least. My neighbor who is also an attorney, looked it over and realized it was a design flaw and felt the company should stand behind it. When I called the company, they said they couldn't do anything about it except sell us 2 new seats for $100. Why would I want to buy 2 new seats when the same thing is going to happen again? Their argument was that it wasn't part of the canoe! What a joke. The warranty was up yesterday. By the way, my wife weighs 120 LBS, and her seat is cracked on both sides about ready to break in two. They refuse to do anything and I'm so disappointed with the Pelican company. I intend to tell everyone I know about this and write plenty of emails to dealers around the country. I'm retired and have plenty of time to do so...