Submitted: 05-30-2000 by David Taylor

I have owned my Atlantis for 2 years now and enjoy it very much. I'm 6'0" and 165 lbs and paddle almost exclusively on Lake Superior. Good initial stability and good secondary stability. I feel much more comfortable with the Atlantis on edge than I do when I have paddled my friends' Magellan, Squall, and Shadow. I enjoy the integral rudder. The boat has a tendency to weathercock which is easily corrected with edging or the rudder or both. I have had technical difficulties with the rudder's lockout mechanism. It has a lock-out part which is press-fit to a spring loaded plate. This press-fit piece has come out three times on me, finally requiring welding. It is heavy, if portaging is a concern. In the water it is fast-feeling though I think it only has average speed and turns very quickly for its length. Overall, a very enjoyable paddle. I have a good friend who paddled his Atlantis around Lake Superior and had no trouble with it except one time in fairly heavy seas his front hatch popped open. Other than that served him very well in a variety of sea conditions.