Submitted: 06-23-2008 by richb
purchased a nemo about a month ago to replace a QCC 600 I have been using for paddling triathlons. I have a history of distance running but at age 60 I wanted to try other sports that would be a little less hard on the old knees. I started kayaking in order to do the triathlons and it has quickly become my favorite activity. I would like to try some longer kayak races so I bought the Nemo from Kayakpro

I do not feel qualified to comment on rough water handling, rolling, or other areas of kayaking that require more skill than my current level. I have spent nearly all my time on the water trying to improve my racing speed and feel the Nemo is stable and fast for me.It has taken me a few weeks to adjust to the gas peddle steering since my QCC 600 had no rudder.

I did a few triathlons in the Nemo over the last few weeks and finished not far behind the young bucks in the surf skis, thunderbolts, mohicana etc. Can cruise for 10 miles at 6.0 to 6.1 mph and a did a 4 mile hard effort at 6.5 mph a few days ago. This may not seem fast to more experienced racers but to a 60 year old beginner who weighs 145# is 5'8" tall it sure feels like a fast kayak

It has super easy to adjust seat and steering system. finish inside and out is very nice. I did have a problem with rudder cables coming loose but Grayson at Kayakpro was there to inform me on how to remedy the problem and told me all the new Nemos will be done that way at the factory.

I had tried thunderbolt but it felt to big and to tippy for me. I think the Nemo will make it possible for me to advance my skill and do some rougher water racing. A great boat for smaller paddlers.

Sealline: