Submitted: 06-23-2008 by dan1990

I just got my new Pam100 Tuesday, and I've taken it out twice. Super fun, and I can't imagine it being beaten for the price I paid. Love it. Dave at D&D Outfitters in Cincinnati is the MAN! I 100% recommend getting your kayak there. Service was well worth the minimal shipping cost I paid.

Anyway, my bud has a Perception Carolina 14.5, and while his is a GREAT boat, mine does just fine alongside for 1/3 the price. I shopped around a LOT online, and decided to go for a good, inexpensive boat to make sure I stick to the sport. Well, I love it, and my boat's just fine for me right now.

Initial stability is great (better than his) and secondary stability is good too -- I even jumped out to swim and could climb back in easily (I'm sure I looked graceful doing it too--yeah, right). Fit and finish is nice. Plastic isn't as nice as my bud's big smooth Carolina, but plenty strong. Seat is comfortable enough, but improved greatly when I put my PFD behind me.

Tracks well for a short boat, but does slightly zigzag due to its short length. Very maneuverable. Will be great for running rivers (I've only been on lakes so far). Note: cockpit is huge. Most newbies will like that because there's no claustrophobia, but you will end up wet with this boat unless you're real careful (I'm not) or have a spray skirt (I don't). Super convenient and easy to pack around. I have to help my buddy load his on his roof rack after I've thrown mine in the bed of my truck. ;)

If you want cool looks or bells and whistles like dry hatches or more bungees to not use, go spend more money. But if you're looking to get into the sport and want an inexpensive boat that's well made and performs well, this is a excellent choice.
Happy paddling!