Submitted: 06-19-2008 by Ken

I've been fishing lakes in a Sea Eagle 420X for the past week. Most days in pretty high winds. ANY inflatable watercraft is going to be lumbering on flat water and catch wind like a sail. Nature of the beast. But the SE 420X was BY FAR the best inflatable I have ever used...AND my absolute favorite fly fishing boat of all time. I ordered a 380X after the 2nd day. I don't need the extra length of the 420X.

I paddled this boat for hours in 30 mph wind on an East Texas lake, transiting open water and along shoreline structure while fishing. I have no qualms with the way it handles. Does it handle as well as a hard boat? Yes... a canoe. But not a kayak. But for an inflatable kayak, that's as good as it gets! I even paddled the boat for an hour while my brother fished where I was sitting in the bow and he was fishing from the stern. 290 lbs of former football lineman sitting over the skeg and 30 mph winds...and I had no problem keeping him in position for fishing the shoreline we were covering.

But my favorite things about this boat are that it is ultimately comfortable and it has nothing on it to foul a fly line when fishing. These are the two most important ingredients for any fishing boat in my world.