Submitted: 06-19-2008 by Jersey Matt

I am 6'2" 250 lbs. I am a recent college grad with a low budget. I bought my Old Town Loon 111 Classic because
a) it's an Old Town,
b) it was in my price range and was an Old Town,
c) could hold my weight and is an Old Town, and
d) it has the Poly Link 3 material by Old Town.

It was either this 111 classic, the Loon 120, or possibly the Wilderness Systems Pungo. A friend of mine has the Pamlico and rides very low to the water (friction increased water spillage a greater possibility). So I nixed the Pungo.

I chose the Classic 111 because it was shorter and I want to be able to cruise down ANY river skinny and wide. The 120 does have a more comfortable seat though. My decision was not easy. I still wonder if I should have gone for the 120 because it may also be faster on lakes ( I live on a lake in Joisy) This is my first boat and my next one will be the Old Town Adventure Series or of the like.

All in all, I went for durability; a kayak I can hand down to my children.

I kayaked faster against the wind than a couple walking (for exercise). Took it for a test run on my lake about 10 miles with and against the wind. I was very impressed!!!! I made equal time on the back 5 miles. Going the 10 miles, took me about an hour and a half but that time also included me crossing the 1/2 mile wide lake and checking out houses.

I have read reviews that it does not track well -FALSE, tracks very well. Thought I wanted the 120 for speed! but I believe you only get more leg room and a hatch but then you lose storage for foam blocks. You want speed? Get a touring Kayak that also stores more. If you get the Loon 111 Classic it is because you want to take long day trips and maybe over night it and you want to hit some skinny fast rivers. Also its great for a short day run for exercise or to explore.

Pros: Cuts through the water!
Stable in choppy water (psyched for bigger waves!)
Tons of leg room! (I'm 6'2")
Tons of storage! (no foam blocks polylink3)
Does not come with un-necessary storage hatch (dry bag it) and does not waste knee room for a cup holder like the Dirigo.

Cons: Does not offer the extra comfort seat option like the Dirigo and other Loons. Not that I care about a seat. No beer holder (cup holder).