Submitted: 06-18-2008 by braumeister

I originally purchased my Werner Cascadia bent shaft as a low-cost entry-level paddle when I switched from Greenland style to Euro. The expectation at the time was to relegate it as a spare when I found the paddle I really should have.

Since then, I've found it to be a capable and comfortable paddle on numerous day trips and week-long self-supported wilderness outings. The nylon blades have held up extremely well to Lake Superior rocks with very little flutter and I've had zero wrist problems with the bent shaft (though I've never had wrist problems anyway).

I chose to save money versus weight and am not unhappy with the choice:
Cascadia with bent glass shaft @ 37 oz./$250
Camano with bent carbon shaft @ 29 oz/$405

This spring I spotted an updated version of this paddle at REI with the new adjustable ferrule system, so I cashed in my dividend, claimed my 20% off coupon, and put the old three-position feather Cascadia on the back deck of my Aquanaut.

Yes, there are lighter and arguably better paddles out there, but it's tough to beat the value of this stick.

Build Quality - 9/10
Durability - 9/10
Design - 8/10
Weight - 7/10
Value - 10/10
Overall - 9/10

NRS: