Submitted: 06-12-2008 by MotoMike

Decided on the Outdoorsman 300 compact after talking it over with the reps from Yakima who were at Canoecopia.

I ordered mine from Rack Warehouse. Though the price was not the lowest I could find, it was close and when paired with their free shipping it was the best deal. Ordered online. Very user friendly site. 2 days from order to delivery.

I put a pair of Outdoorsman 300's on my 2001 S-10. Total install time was less than an hour. No drilling, just needed a 3/4 inch wrench and the included Allen wrench to clamp in the cross bars. I also got the required cross bars (58") and a set of the gunwale stops which are easy to adjust and really secure my Nova Craft Pal.

These racks are very sturdy. Rated for 300 pounds, so the canoe and even a few would be no problem. I use a ratchet tie downs with hooks that go fit the cross bars. Be careful not to over tighten. Once transported 150 miles at highway speed, no problemo. Didnít budge a bit. For long trips I use bow and stern lines as well.

A quality product at a fair price. If I had any concern it would be that with a 3/4 inch wrench and 20 minutes, someone could make off with my rack system. So I need to find a way to secure it. I highly recommend the system.