Submitted: 06-11-2008 by Beans

The Peregrine that I own is a fiberglass/kevlar version which according to the paperwork from Hemlock Canoe, weighs 35 lbs. The canoe is a pleasure to paddle and so pleasing to the eye with the beautifully crafted wooden gunwales, thwarts and decks. It is deceptively fast and carves a nice turn.

I've paddled this canoe on small rivers, canals, ponds and large lakes. It handles all these conditions without any problems. I've had it loaded with gear and a dog and it still paddles fine. I haven't had it out on a large lake with sizeable waves yet. It is a good dog boat especially if the dog can sit just in front of the paddler.

I paddled a Merlin II previously and the Peregrine seems to have better initial stability and tracks better. If I get tired of kneeling I can sit and still feel stable. I use a Zaveral paddle and am able to use the hit and switch method for speed or just paddle on one side with a modified J stroke. This is a very versatile boat that paddles well with or without a load. It is heavier than the Merlin but much more durable so I really can't complain.