Submitted: 06-11-2008 by David

I went to Mountainman Sports in Old Forge, NY last week and tried three 13 foot kayas...Old Town's Cayuga 130, Necky's Manatou 13 and 14, and the Wilderness Tsunami 135 and 130.

Although I did go down to 12.5 feet and up to 14.5 feet on some models, I found 13 feet as perfect for an all around kayak for lakes, rivers, streams and coastal bays. The most comfortable for me was the Cayuga 130. Loved it side braces and double hatches. A little more in weight than the Necky (52 pounds vs 45), I wanted the extra hatch as better insurance for my wife who is less experienced with kayaks than I am. She is 5'5" and I am 5'11" and it fit us both well just by adjusting the foot braces.

We carry it on top of our 27 foot motorhome on a special custom rack to hold our canoe as well as two kayaks. I would have possibly chosen the Necky Manatou 13 except it had only one hatch and it lacked a knee brace in the standard edition. We are very happy with the Cayuga 130.