Submitted: 06-11-2008 by sdr

Stay AWAY from the Hobie Pursuit!!!! I've been paddling 10 years; first kayak was Necky Sky and then moved up to the new Swift Kiwassa, but had been reading so much about the stability of SOT's and because of stability could take into surf, waves, etc. Could even dive off them to swim and climb right back on. WRONG!!!!

I went out and bought used Hobie Pursuit. Not only was it pretty, but also had three dry hatches and high back seat. Couldn't wait to get it into the water. Today, finally, the temp rose to 85 and I went to an area lake because I always make sure I paddle a location with new boat when it is first time. Thank God I did that today or I wouldn't be writing this right now. As soon as I pushed away from shore I felt something not quite right. The lake water was very calm, no wind to speak of, yet the boat would not track straight for anything. I had to continually work to keep her heading straight ahead. Just as I reached middle of lake, I moved my foot ever so slightly and instantly the kayak flipped over on the right side and I ended up shocked by the instant, unexpected, and unexplainable dump - and I could not reach up high enough to get a grab hold of the bottom of the boat to keep myself upright or to upright the boat. Fortunately it is Trail day for the State and there happened to be a boy scout troop camping on a side shore. They saw me flip and heard me yelling for help and saw that I was struggling because my arms weren't long enough to grab the bottom of boat. The men running the scout camp jumped into their canoes and kayaks and kept yelling to me to keep trying to grab the boat and remain calm because they weren't coming. It took two men to turn the boat back over upright!! They towed me and kayak to their camp and after calming a bit, I got back on kayak and began slow paddle to shore - and halfway to shore, without reason or explanation, the kayak flipped over again to the right and then upside down. This time I was able to reach up and put my hand into the self-bailing hole for support until the men could get to me again. This time they had to paddle on both sides of me to get me to shore because the damn boat kept wanting to tip over to the right. And they recommend SOT's for beginner paddlers and children because of its stability???? And its safety!!! And its ability to take into surf??!! I'd hate to see what this kayak would do if one little wave or surf touched it!!! It is definitely one kayak that will never see water again as long as I own it! And it has completely set me against SOT's. Would never buy another one, and would never get on another one! They are flat out dangerous kayaks!!!