Submitted: 06-10-2008 by bhaskell

I previously owned a surfjet kayak, which totally ripped while playing in the waves, but was horrible for any sort of flat water paddling. Recently gas prices have gotten so outrageous, I was looking for some healthy, self-propelled fun. Basspro shops had a great sale on the scrambler XT angler for $399.88, including the OC seat. I purchased two for that price, figuring I'd have another boat if I wanted a paddling partner.

After a couple of trips, I feel the XT angler is an average SOT kayak. For an all around SOT, the XT performs pretty well in the surf, moves decently through the flat water and is manageable in the wind and chop. The biggest thing I find wrong with this kayak is it's ability to track straight on flat water. The deck layout is very versatile, the bungie areas front and rear serve well for holding down gear. The forward hatch is kinda cramped unless you just cram stuff in there willy-nilly.

As long as you don't plan to cover 10 miles in a day, the XT angler will serve you well. This boat is good for slow moving rivers and short expeditions over the flat water or playing in the surf.