Submitted: 06-06-2008 by searat

A dealer for Malibu recently opened near Aberavon Beach, just a few miles from my home in South Wales. I've kayaked extensively in traditional sit-inside designs but this is my first sit-on-top. I wanted a kayak that would be stable enough to encourage my family to try paddling on the sea and build up confidence. So far I'm very pleased - the Pro-Explorer is small enough to fit over the roof of a smaller European automobile, yet is long enough to not be a complete slug in the water. It isn't fast (hence the 8) but it tracks very well, can cope with 1 metre choppy waves and has enough carrying capacity for my kids to ride on the bow and stern towing their bodyboards to a nice distance out where they can bail out and ride a wave back to the shore - great fun and wish I'd bought one years ago. Lots of space inside to stow all your gear, dry seat if only one on board, paddles as well facing backwards as it does forwards. Hope to get a second one next season.
Steve from South Wales