Submitted: 06-02-2008 by Douglas Morton

Okay... I've read all the reviews on the Kodiak, and I must agree with the majority. As is typical, being a large 6'-1" 250lb., I searched the internet and paddling shops until I settled on a mighty Yak that could carry me comfortably along with a good amount of gear for camping. I'm a novice paddler who didn't want to buy an intermediate kayak, only to out grow it's skill level within a season. So I did a bunch of research and settled on the Kodiak. I'm sure glad that I did!

The good - It's a durable Kayak with a type of air induced plastic manufacturing that creates a stiffer and more durable kayak. It doesn't scrape or scratch half as much as my wife's Venture Easky 15. It's a heavy kayak, being about 66lbs. This seams to help in the water, allowing for better secondary stability. In fact, when paddling into the wind or through some choppy water, this yak seems to hunker down and carry you through like a champ! It's a fast boat for such a big kayak, and I can out-paddle just about everyone on the lake except for the racing kayakers.

The bad - Primary stability was a little less than I had expected. In truth, I tipped the yak in 6 inches of water on my maiden voyage when trying to shove off a low grade boat ramp in a dry entry (darn bow hung on the ramp). I'll admit that I was a fool, not to mention being a novice. Wet entries are much better for me. Also, it took a while to understand what a tri-hydral hull handled like. It was different than the Easky 15 and the Necky Zoar I had tried. You can lean this kayak a bit more than you would think, and when I finally get a rudder, I think I'll even learn to edge it through turns.

Overall, I'd give it a 10! I love this yak! Its got great storage space. Its got a very comfortable seat and thigh braces that are fully adjustable as well. You can't go wrong with this one!