Submitted: 05-31-2008 by VR

This has to be the most miserable boat I have ever paddled in the surf. I typically paddle a dedicated surf kayak but I ended up taking a class that used these boats to unwittingly accompany a friend. I couldn't have been more unhappy.

First of all, I'm 5'5", 120lbs. Despite claims that this boat works well for almost all sizes of paddlers, there is no doubt that I was too small for it. For me, this boat was like paddling a bathtub. This boat is SLOW SLOW SLOW, it doesn't track well, and it doesn't edge well. After catching a wave, the boat still required continual paddling just to ensure that I wouldn't go off the wave. This boat definitely doesn't track or control well. It has a vicious tendency to turn parallel to the wave -- far worse than most longer sea kayaks I've taken into the surf zone.

After using this boat, my legs ended up covered in black and blue bruises. The reason: the thigh straps for this boat were just not good and that boat is a lot of volume for someone my size. I like to throw a boat around in the surf to do top turns and cutbacks. This boat would have none of that. Being so massive and unresponsive, it was very difficult to get it to turn.

After using this boat, I find it near impossible to believe Cobra's claims that this boat is good for both beginners and experts. If you're looking for a good boat for an occasional recreational paddle and not to become a serious kayaker, then certainly I would recommend this boat. If you're interested in anything else, do not use this boat.