Submitted: 05-30-2008 by DAS

I love my Motion. I think Prijon makes a big mistake by marketing this as an all-round kayak for small paddlers and women. I'm 6'2" and weigh just under 200 pounds. I have a lot of space in the cockpit, which is as functional as it is comfortable (once I replaced the standard styrofoam backrest with a whitewater backband). The boat features a completely adjustable cockpit. You can move the seat forward and backwards and slide the thigh braces forward or aft to your liking. The foot pegs are solid, if you install a rudder they turn into gas-pedal style tilting paddles for steering.

The boat is nimble and quite fast. It tracks very well on calm water while being very maneuverable. It is easy to lean, with solid resistance on the hard chines before the tipping point and I found it very easy to roll. It has raised hatches which I found to be completely dry even after wave or rolling sessions, but which add some wind resistance to the kayak. The Motion doesn't really need a rudder, but I installed Prijon's balanced wing rudder and use it to balance weather helm on long crossings.

The boat is absolutely capable of ocean voyaging, the smaller hull make it more playful than some of the barges out there. The construction is from Prijon's bullet-proof HPTP material that has proven itself in many whitewater boats I have paddled before.

I got mine from New England Small Craft for a very good price. It comes with lots of features that normally define much higher priced kayaks. And it has Prijon's waterproof "deck box", a small day hatch in front of the cockpit.

Over all, I'm in love with the Motion, it has a very solid feel to it on the water, while still remaining playful and responsive. It has safety reserves other kayaks of it's price range lack and enough storage capacity for a weekend trip.