Submitted: 05-30-2008 by kanaka
I loved my Jackson 4 Fun. Loved the light weight, volume, comfort and handling while surfing and rolling. Unfortunately, some of this comes at a cost, the light weight for example.

After buying a used 2007 model and using it a half dozen times on my local river I managed to put a 6 inch gash in the boats hull, right below the seat. I did this after going over a rock once, - the same rock I have hit many times in other kayaks.

What I learned, or I think I learned, is that the boats light weight comes at the price of a less durable plastic. And if you try and repair that plastic, watch out. It can’t be welded and very few if any manufactured adhesives or epoxies will bond to it.

One common recommended repair process was to use 3 M, Vinyl Mastic Tape. Ever try and find such an item in Canada? Unless your buying the item by the gross – don’t bother.

Never the less, for basic down river and some “playboating”, the boat is designed very well. Still, I can’t help but question the plastic used. Before you buy, do your research and make up your own mind. I give my Jackson 4 Fun, 4 out of 10, because the numbers match.