Submitted: 05-23-2008 by DM

I have had my Tsunami 140 over a year now. I have been on water with it less than 20 times and I can say that it was the best choice as the first boat. From the kayaks I tried, it had the best combination of price, stability and efficiency.

I have never been capsized unintentionally. I am 57 and 150 lb (after Ice-Cream) and I feel very comfortable in it, however If you like to roll and you are my size you will need a hip pad. I could roll without it, but not as easily. I got a bit of water in the rear after a wet exit, but some silicon fixed it. The storage space is adequate. The phase III seat is not the best for rolling but they are very comfortable and adjustable.

I have gotten the boat up to 6 knots but comfortable cruising speed is around 3.5. If you expect to paddle in windy and choppy conditions get one with a rudder. The longest trip I have done in an afternoon was 9 miles. If you would like to go on longer expedition trips with a group and you are not afraid of getting wet get a slightly longer narrower boat and grow into it otherwise you will have to work harder to keep up with sleek Kevlar boats in your group. If you expect to be in control of your pace and are not worried about slowing anyone down (not that this is a slow boat) this kayak could last you a life time. It is very tough and it is one of the most beautiful ones you can see on water.