Submitted: 05-22-2008 by moriverrat

The Pack is my first canoe, but I've been a river rat (rafting) for many years. I found the canoe in the classifieds and upon seeing it I had to have it.

My first attempt to enter it found me sitting in the water beside my swamped canoe, but then again I am used to rafts. The other day I took it on a day float on the Platte river and although it seemed a bit wobbly (also I am a novice) I was very impressed with its maneuverability. Also with 2 bad knees and a frozen shoulder I still had no difficulties getting the Pack up a steep rocky river bank at the takeout.

Before my float today on the Missouri river I read the reviews here and found them extremely helpful. I fashioned a kayak paddle by joining 2 spare raft oars with a coupler, and was very impressed with the improved speed and tracking. However it just didn't feel right so I practiced my J-stroke with the beavertail paddle and that also improved the tracking.

I am sure that stability and trim will be improved when I pack it with a weeks worth of gear for an extended float trip, which I cannot wait to do in this gem of a canoe.