Submitted: 05-21-2008 by dragons4

From reading reviews etc thought I would really like this boat for a kayak photog. platform. For me, even w/ the skeg down there was quite a bit of stern-wiggle when paddling. When I tried to use the footpegs to actually push on, the sides flexed out, and the foot pegs moved - I found it incredibly fiddly and difficult to get the little button on the foot peg aligned w/ the little square on the rail and often the little button didn't pop out into the little square so the footpeg didn't lock in place; not a good system for me. When paddling, I kept banging into the sides - the sides are very canoe-like and pretty much go straight up, no curve inward as in other SOTs. I also found that I was sitting ON the bar that the seat hinges on - not so comfortable. So, I decided that the Ultimate 12 was not the yak for me.

I have a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 pro, which I like for general paddling (except that the seat/cockpit has gotten a tad too narrow for me). Besides wanting a yak w/ wider seat, I also wanted something more stable to use as a photography platform; after much testing I got a used LiquidLogic Manta Ray 14