Submitted: 05-19-2008 by dragons4

Tested the Ultimate 14.5 in the solo configuration; For me this yak is to flexy - sides flex out, seat not really secure in place, foot pegs tend to move when pushed on. Many folks rave about the comfort of the seat; somehow I end up sitting ON the bar that the seat hinges on - not so comfortable. I also found the boat to be either too wide, too high, or too straight-sided for my paddling style, I kept banging the sides and wishing there was a bit of inward curve to the sides. To be fair, when I got back to the dock I realized that the boat had not been fully changed over from tandem to single: the seat had not been clipped in place just secured w/ the foam blocks, and straps and bars had not been clipped in from side to side. If the boat had been fully set up, it might not have been so flexy.

So, even tho I had been prepared to love the Ultimate 14.5 for a photog. platform (and there is plenty of space for gear), I didn't like the yak itself or the way it paddled.

I have a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 pro that I like for general paddling(except that it has gotten a tad narrow in the seat/ cockpit). I wanted a yak w/ a wider seat that was more stable for a photog. platform; ended up buying a LiquidLogic Manta Ray 14