Submitted: 05-13-2008 by ps

I bought a Yukon Expedition in 1996 and paddled it full length of the legal Yellowstone (where it exits the Park to where it meets the Missouri in N. Dakota.) 500+ miles.

Since then I have paddled it at least another 500 miles of rivers in northern Sask, as well as class III in Idaho and Washington, and a 4 day trip in the saltwater San Juan Islands.

It's currently in my garage.

I have the rudder, but I took it off once I learned how to paddle this boat. The key is to NEVER allow yourself to get offline. Use 2x the strokes at 50% power, and steer with part of every stroke. The best use for the rudder would be on a open water day with a loaded boat and fighting a wind. Otherwise, paddling technique will keep you moving straight.

Are there faster boats? Yep. Boats that are easier to turn? Sure.

This boat is the Kawasaki KLR 650 of kayaks, and the Skidoo Tundra 250 of snowmobiles. (both of which are equally fun touring vehicles) It will get you there, and get you home, in one piece.