Submitted: 05-08-2008 by Ron

Ok, this 15.5ft canoe is not all that stable, especially for a pair of 300+ lb out of shape computer nerds. So if all you are looking for is a canoe for paddling, you can probably find better for just a few dollars more. However, if you are a avid craftsman who enjoys tinkering then there are not many choices out there that will beat this platform for the price.

Slap on a couple wood reinforced PVC tubs and some 4" pool foam outriggers and you have a rock solid platform capable of being stood on. I am 6'5" 340lbs and I can stand in it now in comfort. As for drag, well the canoe is not overly easy to paddle to start with and the small extra drag of these outrigger/sponsons is really no big change. Lets just say the stability of the outriggers more than make up for the small amount of drag they add. Now I am starting to work on a sail for it.

So for a stable sturdy fishing platform that is very forgiven, I would recommend this canoe, but only with attached outriggers either made yourself (about $100) or purchased (about $200 - 1200). I know you are going to say for the extra 100 or 200 I could have purchased a much better canoe and to that I say no way would that better canoe be anywhere near this stable without its own outriggers.

BTW my setup is tri-hull (outriggers on both sides) when I add the sail I will most likely switch to something more Proa(sp?) like.

Again as a project canoe for those who like to tinker, this is a nice CHEAP place to start. Rugged, good load for its size and easy to work with.

MTI Adventurewear: