Submitted: 05-06-2008 by Rob

I bought an older (2001 model) Susquehanna with fiberglass hatch covers a couple of years ago.
I love the increased stability and maneuverability of this model. Like the previous poster mentioned this kayak will get blown around a bit by the wind but if you lower the skeg she will go where you point her even in the worst crosswinds and following seas. I usually paddle it without a skirt during the warmer months and hardly ever get more than a pint or so of water in the cockpit so it is a very dry boat.

My only complaints are that, until a couple of years ago, the hardware in the Immersion Research backbands used in Impex boats had steel rivets (not stainless) which turns to junk in short order in a saltwater environment. I contacted Impex about this and they sent me a new backstrap and the new one has stainless hardware. Talk about great customer service!

I have also noticed a couple of spots where the laminate seems rather thin and one spot next to one of the hatches where a previous owner had added some glass cloth and resin to stiffen it up because the gel-coat was starting to crack there.

I am the third owner of this kayak and it has seen hard use since it gets paddled nearly every day during the warmer months. It lives outside because it won't fit in my garage but it seems to be holding up very well. With a coat of 3M boat cleaner/wax she still shines like new.

I am giving it a 9 due to the fact that it does not have a day hatch, and the fiberglass hatch covers which do not seal tightly and tend to leak a little.

Impex has since redesigned the Susquehanna and added a day hatch, and it now has rubber hatch covers. One day when I save up enough money I am going to trade mine in on a new one.

Pelican Intl.: