Submitted: 04-29-2008 by davlewis101

I purchased a QCC 400x over the winter and have taken it out half a dozen times since then. I wasn't originally going to post a review, but this is such a great kayak from a small company that deserves support, that I decided to post one.

I bought the kevlar/fiberglass layout with rudder. haven't weighed it, but I'd say close to advertised weight (about 45-50lbs). I have no trouble hoisting it onto my car, but it still gets heavy when I carry it to a boat launch that is more that a couple hundred feet away.

Fit and finish is perfect. Great flush-mount hatches that so far have no leaked. Nice rigging all around and good bungie cords for storing stuff. Kayak is very easy to get in from a low dock. I have not tried to get into it from a dock over about 2 feet above water, though.

Performance wise, it tracks like an arrow, leans super easy on edge, has great initial and secondary stability. I have not leaned it all the way onto edge where my cockpit is in the water, since the water is still cold, but I have leaned it pretty far and been able to upright it with a quick brace. I have not rolled it yet, but I think rolling it wouldn't be too hard. I don't have a reliable roll, so I can't tell you.

It has no rocker that I can see, and soft chines that make the edging so easy. The bow is level, so it may bury in waves, but on light chop it handles great. I cruises about 4mph with little effort on my part. I have a Carolina 14.5 also (a great boat, btw, especially for beginners), and this boat is easily 1 to 1.5 mph faster than the Carolina.

So in short, I am very happy with my purchase. If you can wait a month or more for your boat, you can get a great boat at a great price.

New York Kayak Co.: