Submitted: 04-09-2008 by JS

It has been many years (30) since I paddled a kayak but, living next to beautiful Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho, I decided it was time to take up paddling again. Based on the comments in this forum (thanks for the help folks) I purchased a Cayuga 160 from Outdoor Play. Service was fantastic, advice on clothing and sizes was spot on (thanks Jason). The kayak was special ordered and arrived this week.

Anyway, I took my new yak out in the wind and rain/snow. Entry and exit was very stable and beach gravel did not scratch or scrape the surface. Within the hour, I felt very confident in the handling, stability and capabilities of this craft. By the end of the second hour I enjoyed playing in the chop created by the wind (20+ mph) and felt like a kid again. Although outfitted with a rudder it was not necessary in this wind, just point and shoot.

My rating of 8 is based on the fact I have only been out once, and I don't have a frame of reference for other kayaks except for the one I used many years ago.

Finding good on-line service can be difficult but for what it's worth I would rate Outdoor Play at the top, service and delivery were first rate.