Submitted: 04-07-2008 by John 'Toast' Oast

Ocean Kayak's Prowler 15 Trident is one of the best designed fishing-specific kayaks I have had the pleasure of paddling. The hull is about three inches longer than the standard Prowler 15, and the Trident has some outstanding features.

The features you initially recognize are the Rod Pod, Sonar Shield, and sonar-specific scupper hole. I mounted a Humminbird PMax 215 under the Sonar Shield, and am very pleased with with knowing the unit is protected and shielded from glare. It will also lower the chance of having condensation in the screen, which I have encountered on other SOT's. I did still go with my typical through-hull transducer application, as the transducer scupper adapter was not easily obtainable. I show this mounting process on my Youtube site.

The front hatch has a handy single-clip strap system. This is quite convenient, and shows OK put the effort into the design of the hatch. The Rod Pod is also a great feature, and is easily accessible "on the fly". The hatch for the Rod Pod is a slight bit wider for its placement than I would desire, causing my legs to feel a little bit too snug between the hatch and the sides of the cockpit. This is a minor issue, and is the only reason I have not given a "10" rating.

As for the handling of the kayak, my Trident came with the optional rudder package. The yak paddled VERY well in small chop, and with both oncoming and crosswinds. The Comfort Plus seat also made for a comfortable seating area.

I would highly recommend the Trident for anyone who wants a great fishing platform, or simply enjoys paddling a sit-on-top kayak. Ocean Kayak definitely put the effort into the design of this one!