Submitted: 04-02-2008 by k1_paddler

I'll keep it short and sweet and focus on the negatives since I'm a pessimist at heart.
I'd give the boat an 8.5 but the system doesn't allow half points. The Razor is exactly what it is billed to be.....a cross between a K1 and a touring boat. I got mine from Mississippi Kayak for the incredible price of $1950 USD. It thankfully had no hatches or decklines and came in E construction (carbon/kevlar honeycomb).

The negatives:

1. The cockpit is only 15.5 inches wide. You'd have to be a real fatty to actually have trouble fitting in, but it does feel a bit claustrophobic. The length of the cockpit is fine. I can think of no reason why the cockpit had to be so narrow on such a wide K1.
  2. I received my boat with all 4 rudder cable guides detached and hanging in the breeze. They used a very low quality adhesive and they all popped off sometime before i got the boat. Instead of taking my first paddle on the day of delivery, I spent hours epoxying them back in place, hoping I got them in the right spot, and adjusting rudder cables.
  3. The rudder and footboard are NOT separate assemblies like in most other K1s. This is absurd. If you want to adjust the footboard forward or back you have to reset the rudder lines.
  4. The footboard does not go all the way forward or even close. While the rail has a dozen holes or so in it, I can't get the footboard to slide farther than the 6th set of holes. If you are over 6 ft- 6'1", forget it.
  5. The footboard makes a terrible squeaking sound with the slightest press of the toes. The boat also squeaks as i step into it. I quickly figured that this is due to the flexing of the carbon/kevlar hull. I checked all the other carbon/kevlar nelos in our boathouse and they all do the same thing. The pure carbon boats didn't do it. I don't mind the sound it just makes me worry.
So much for keeping it short. The construction is pretty high quality. The appearance is A+. It is definitely slower than most other K1s I have paddled (and I've paddled MANY), but perhaps the ample stability will make that sacrifice acceptable. The boat balances well and can handle heavy paddlers. Others have said it doesn't track straight....I haven't noticed that at all. Just make sure the rudder lines are adjusted tight to keep all slack out of the rudder.