Submitted: 04-01-2008 by cougar

I have waited for a year of paddling in this yak to do a review. First off the HTP plastic of Prijon kayaks is second to none. This yak has seen stone and gravel shorelines, and concrete ramps, there is nothing but superficial scratches on the boat, unlike peels and gouges that would be on other plastic yaks that I have owned.

An earlier review questions the stability of this boat, but it is very stable even while fishing out of it and landing large fish, even my brother (who is a beginner) had no trouble fishing out of it in a river with an 8 mph current. I have also had it in 4ft. swells that is about its max as it tends to submarine the waves at that point. The speed and glide is very impessive and not far behind my 14 footer. The tracking of this yak is very good as there is no rocker, but still maneuvers easily.

The cockpit is comfortable but a gel pad is needed for the seat for extended trips. I added a float bag to the bow and perimeter deck rigging, as well as rigging behind the seat for paddle float rescues. I never had a failed paddle float re-entry as the cockpit is fairly large. The rear hatch is the only negative to the yak, as I have had to pump it out after practicing paddle float re-entry. The hatch also is a pain to close from in the yak and the opening is small. All the other Prijon yaks have great hatches.

The weight of the Capri compared to most other 12 ft. plastic yaks is light and can be easily put it the rack on my truck. If you are looking for a 12 ft. daytripper the Capri is probably the best on the market.