Submitted: 02-20-1999 by Thomas A Love

The R5 is a good white water kayak. It serves very well for touring flat-water. You can use it for short trips but stuffing gear in is an art, don't put the toilet paper in first! You will have to drag every thing else out to get it! I removed the second post in the front and back to get more gear in. It did not affect the stiffness of the boat. I also removed the footrests, a hard job! It took a sharp knife, heated by a torch to get them out. Why did I take them out? My tapered dry bags would not go in past them. I decided to use my R5 solely for flat-water camping trips. I needed room to store gear. The foot pegs are there for white water, besides I can still roll the Kayak using only the knee braces. In order to find out how much gear you can take safely subtract your weight from the 250 pounds the kayak is rated to carry. Make sure the weight is evenly distributed. Trips of a week or so are possible. I commonly do trips of 100 km in the boat. I do not recommend this boat for the ocean. It is too small.