Submitted: 03-21-2008 by Mike B

I have owned a SeaYak since the spring of 2004. I actually purchased the first '05 model - it fits differently than the earlier models and has the round deck hatch for small items - a nice touch. There are also 2 Prijon Catalinas and 1 Prijon TourYak in my family. I have paddled many other boats including P&H, Valley, Eddyline and Current Designs.

I have used my SeaYak in Pacific coastal waters and large inland lakes. I am 5'8" 170lbs. The boat fits me perfectly and has excellent stability.

This is a terrific beginner to intermediate boat. It is easy to paddle distances, though not a fast boat for its size. It has sufficient cargo space for a multi-day trip, and the rudder control via the pedals is wonderfully easy to use. I suspect this boat is nearly indestructible.

The low amount of rocker makes it a bit unstable in uncertain seas. It weathercocks noticeably in winds over 10 knots, though the rudder easily corrects for this. The boat is rather heavy; long solo portages can be a chore.

Overall, I give it an eight.
If Prijon redesigns the hull to reduce weathercocking (if possible), I will give it a 9, and if they increase rocker for responsiveness I would give it a 10.