Submitted: 03-21-2008 by Todd Jamison

I last reviewed my Scanoe in 2001 on this site. Two kids, three trucks, two cars, two dogs, 4 more bedrooms and three states later...I still love this boat.
I had a 5hp Briggs & Stratton on it for a few years, but found it to be overkill. I now use a Minn Kota Endura 50 (36" shaft). Still overkill, but I can go up moderately swift rivers very quietly and then drift back to the launch site. I still have the old Minn Kota that I used to use.

This old Scanoe takes a beating and comes back for more. I've heard it called the tugboat, green pig, creature, ... but I would take it over most other boats to get to the fish. I often flyfish for trout and find that I can drift over a hole, see the fish and the boat does not spook them. It must look like a non-threatening log. What spooks them is the shadow of my rod. I have had dozens of catches on flies dangling in the water beside the boat.

I'll admit, paddling all day could be a chore, but with a small motor it is the perfect shallow river boat that glides over most rocks when my friends in more rigid boats get stuck. Versatility, stealth, ruggedness, etc. it is a 10/10. For pretty boys paddling around, it might not be the boat for you.