Submitted: 03-18-2008 by CheapSkate2

The blue & white Pursuit 100, my first kayak - I got for $254 out the door at walmart. I am very pleased with it. I am using it in CT river & Long Island Sound plus some lakes & ponds and have it rigged for fishing.

I use it when I go out by myself and don't feel like dealing with a heavy canoe that requires 2 people to get ontop my 4x4 or launching my 20' boat at busy boat launch.

I have not used other kayaks before but I think it performs very well in wind and current compared with my 17' canoe and costs nothing in fuel and it is now my favorite water vehicle for recreation and fishing (mostly striped bass, blue fish, flounder, perch) along the shoreline. It is so small and light I can throw it INSIDE my Mitsubishi Eclipse (sticking out the back a couple feet) to transport to local launch spots. With the money I saved over a more expensive brand/model I was able to outfit it well with fishing accessories and other gear.

It can be a bit tricky and/or intimidating sometimes reeling in a fish 1/3 or more the size of my "boat" and I think a larger, much more expensive kayak would be better but then it would lose the extreme ease of portability that this thing has which is the major reason I tried a kayak for fishing in the first place. As for the Ram-X material, it seems pretty durable so far and if it does sustain damage at some point I will not be out much money should it end the kayak's service. I don't think you can beat the value for the dollar of this kayak - it cost less than my hand-held GPS did.

NRS: