Submitted: 03-13-2008 by Dogb

I purchased a Necky Zoar Sport as my (gulp) 4th kayak. I wanted an inexpensive boat that I could leave locked up at a public landing and not worry like I would about my "good" kayaks.

I say, for the money, this is a pretty good boat. It's not super-fast, but there are other boats for that. It's a good beginner boat, or one if you want a roto-molded boat it's pretty good for the money. I'm a little disappointed in the seat, it could be more comfortable when I look at other boats at this price break. It can "sort of" hold an edge, again more so than other boats at this price-range. I would say at the 14 foot range, a day tourer, this is a pretty good boat and better than some. It can handle a larger paddler, but so can Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 - which has more comfort, but less performance. I'd recommend the Tsunami for anyone with knee or back problems over this boat.

I think if you're looking for an "all around" kayak to do some rivers, lakes and even some big water, it's great - especially for the money. Don't look for speed, or cutting through the water, because it's a little clunky - but at 14 feet, what can you expect? For what you're paying for, you get a pretty darn good boat. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better boat for the money...unless you buy used.