Submitted: 03-11-2008 by PokeCheck

Pursuit 100 DLX (aka Esprit 100 DLX)
I purchased two of these boats last summer (2007) from BJ's Wholesale Club, paying approx. $300 each, after a $50 off coupon on each. They came with some very useful wholesale club extras, including a spray skirt, foam rooftop carrier blocks and straps, and a basic paddle. The model I purchased (Pelican Esprit 100 DLX) is identical to the Pelican Pursuit 100 DLX. The Esprit is green and the Pursuit is blue.

This is an excellent recreational kayak for several reasons: low cost, very durable, fast enough, very stable, and nicely featured. Features include criss-crossing elastic gear cords on front deck, lift handles on both ends, a very handy paddle holder along edge of cockpit, adjustable footpegs, a water-resistant (not waterproof!) compartment on the rear deck, and pretty decently padded seat with an adjustable backpad. No cupholder though, but lots of other places to stow a water bottle. This is an excellent value to get you on the water and into the sport.

About 2 months after purchasing my boats, my daughter and I took these boats a 50-mile week-long trip on the W. Branch of the Penobscot River and Chesuncook Lake in Maine. While these 10' boats are not intended for this type of activity, they performed very well. The spray skirts that came with the boats worked great on Chesuncook Lake where the waves got so large they were often washing over the bow. We purchased aftermarket paddles since the basic paddles that came with boats were insufficient for trekking.

I can fit one of these boats inside my Grand Caravan minivan, and I put the second on the roof on the foam blocks they came with. Tracking of the shallow V hull is just OK, but not a deal killer in my view. I'm guessing they track average straight for a small boat without a rudder or skeg. Once you're out for any length of time, you correct the tracking without even noticing it. I should confess that I removed the foam flotation inside the hull to make room for more camping gear on our trek; however, the dry bags we used more than made up for the lost flotation.

This boat is perfect for kids, women, beginners -- anyone really -- looking for a relatively light, rugged, reasonably fast, compact play boat for exercise and even the occasional weekend trip. And, it won't break the bank. You can get a deal on this boat online, but also check your local warehouse store/flyers. It's March and my BJ's just got these boats back in stock recently, although I haven't seen a coupon for them yet. Enjoy!