Submitted: 03-06-2008 by JCByram

I purchased the Dirigo 120 after about two months of research, comparing, checking load capacities, and reading other reviews.
My biggest concern was the maximum load being that at the time I was over 275lbs. The Dirigo is perfect for what I want to do. Day and overnight trips with room to store camping gear and supplies on water from flat rivers to ocean shoreline.

I have been on two trips so far, one 12.6 mile and one 15.2 mile and the Dirigo performed just fine. I had a bit of trouble tracking at first due to my inexperience at paddling, but on the second trip I noticed a considerable difference for the better. The wind has a bit of effect on the kayak, and a rudder would be nice (why I gave a 9 instead of a 10) but all in all this has worked out perfectly for me.

The Dirigo is stable, responsive, and quite difficult to flip. I put it in the pool and practiced wet exits and entries. I realized how far I have to push to get this boat to flip....amazing.

I am completely satisfied with the purchase, other than the lack of a rudder.