Submitted: 03-03-2008 by Boxxer

I've been a backpacker for years, and am new to the kayak world. First I would like to say that you kayakers get to carry ALOT more gear than backpackers, the only complaint I could have about this filter is that it is fairly large, and fairly heavy compared to some, and it has a non-field maintainable filter. With that said, I've owned a multitude of filters throughout the years and this thing blows them all out of the water for 3 reasons.
  1. It filters out viruses. It is the only water filter out there that I am aware of that will do such a thing with nasty chemicals that I won't want to be ingesting.
  2. The flow rate is insane, the unit double pumps allowing it to pump water not only on the down stroke but also on the upstroke. A full Nalgene should take less than 60 seconds.
  3. The case it comes in doubles as a waterbag. If you don't like to pump... fill the bag and let gravity do the work.
I have heard people getting water from questionable places, I have filtered water out of mud puddles that have a metallic sheen on the waters surface, and gotten clear tasting odorless water. Believe it or not, I have filtered food coloring out of water with this purifier. It is simply the best...