Submitted: 02-29-2008 by docwatsn

The kayak is great for myself and my kids (10 and 12). With the wide bottom and the lack of tipping, they and myself are very comfortable in it. With two people in the Twin Otter (the 3rd is in a Voyager that I bought at the same time) it paddles and tracks very well for a kayak with a wide and almost flat bottom. With a little effort the kayak will slide sideways on you instead of tracking - but it's not that bad.

However, as good as it is with two people, I have a hard time paddling it solo. I'm a large man (5'10 and 275#) and I cannot get the rear seat forward enough, nor the front seat back enough for me to balance the kayak well. As a result one end of of the kayak lifts out of the water and it tracks terribly. What I have done to compensate for this is that I will kneel on a boat cushion in the middle of the kayak where I need to be. This is fine for short trips, but uncomfortable for a medium to long trip. This season, I'm going to try sitting where I need to be with one of those folding stadium seats with a back rest.

The other issue I have is that foot rests were installed for both seats - but due to the rails that the seats attach too, the foot rests for the rear seat are unusable. The foot rests should have been made a little longer to compensate for the seat rails.

Other than those issues, the kayak is great for its price range. Very very difficult to tip, but once it does it goes over fast and there is no time to recover. It's very comfortable for two adults or children. I would recommend it for a recreational kayak.

The low rating is because of how it handles solo (might handle better for a smaller person) and because of the rear seat foot rests.