Submitted: 02-29-2008 by Bob

I just purchased the Epic GPX Performance and am very pleased with this kayak. I have paddled the lakes of Central FL for the past 5 years in a canoe and finally made the decision to sell the canoe and buy a kayak.

This is a General Purpose kayak and fits my needs perfectly. It is a composite yak and constructed very solid. The thing that sold me on the boat is the weight and the design. It only weighs 31 lbs. I am in my early 50's, but have a bad back. Did not want to haul around a 50-70 lb. boat. This boat really tracks well even though there is no rudder or skeg, even in the wind. This is due to the design of the yak. It is so much faster than a canoe and doesn't get blown around in the wind. I bought a spray skirt but have not used it yet. I may need it if I take the boat to the Florida Keys where it is a lot windier.

The boat is 25" wide and 12' 11" long and very stable. The width I don't think slows me down at all, and it tracks like a much longer yak. I did not want a boat that was too tippy. It has one storage hatch in the back. I bought a 2006 model from a local dealer and got 20% off the $2,000. retail price tag.

I am sure this yak is not for everyone, but if weight is a concern, check this boat out, it's truly "one hand" light! It is a little pricey, but worth it. I mean I plan on using this yak for years to come.