Submitted: 02-29-2008 by docwatsn

I've used the Old Town Otters but they really aren't big enough for me (5'10 276#) so I stopped borrowing my brother-in-law's Otters and bought a Voyager last spring (2007).

It's a factory 2nd and the flaw is where they cut the edges of the cockpit but the molding almost covers up the flaw. The Voyager handles my weight very well, and takes a little getting used too for me as the Voyager "feels" very tippy compared to the Otters - but you can tip and recover easily. Where on the Otters they don't tip very easily, but when they do they don't recover usually. On one outing I paddled across Great Moose Pond in Maine from our camp to a relative’s camp. Per http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ it was 2.5 miles round trip. There was white caps that broke over the kayak going there and coming back with the wind and against the wind. Looking back, for my skill level, I should not have been out on the water in that weather - but it was my first weekend with the kayaks (I bought a Twin-Otter too) and I didn't want to stay off the water.

The kayak handled very well in the waves and wind. Once I got used to the feel of the kayak and the way it handles the feeling of it being tippy went away as I learned to trust the kayak. I'm rating it as an eight out of ten because it took a little getting used to before I felt comfortable in it but I will admit that the uncomfortable feeling is because I am used to wider, flat bottom canoes and kayaks than this model. Other than that, it is a very good kayak and handles a large person like myself very well.