Submitted: 02-12-2008 by kenrose1

I started out using one Thule 883 Glide-n-Set system with my Current Designs Kestral TCS 14'kayak. It took a while to figure out I needed a mat on the back of my 2005 Chevy Equinox SUV and a rug or two under the stern. The technique became to lift the bow way up and than work my way to the back of the 'yak and tilt it up the rest of the way. I then added a Yakima J-bar for my friend's Kestral (same model boat, different color). There wasn't enough room on the factory rack for two Glide-n-Sets side by side. I had great difficult loading the second kayak by myself as it tended to twist as I was shoving it into position. The final concern about the J-bar was one of the mounts almost twisted off the bar during a heavy gust of wind while driving over a very high bridge even though I had it secured fore and aft as well as to the J-bars. Scary!

So I added a Thule rack with a 65" crossbar system which accommodated a second set of Glide-n-Set. Just came back from a 500 mile trip which entailed removing and mounting both kayaks many times for paddling. The side by side setup was as solid as a rock at highway speeds, over bumpy road and through rain.

I would hardily endorse them. Note that the mounts worked equally well with my wide factory crossbars and the square Thule crossbars.