Submitted: 02-09-2008 by mlsphd

After almost 4 years of paddling in our QCC 400X Kayaks, I'd like to offer some reviews from our experience. First, there is the incomparable service. Yesterday I called about two issues: a rusting screw and a rudder cable that had popped off (and then was slipped back on) the footpedal. Before I quite finished explaining the problem Phil had pulled up my record and was ready to verify the mailing address for replacement parts.

After four years of paddling, the boats still regularly get comments from other paddlers and bystanders about their appearance... a combination of the workmanship, range of colors available, and the color choices of my "fashion police" daughter.

We have the carbon-kevlar layup with the smarttrak rudder. The lightweight hull make it easier to load/unload and my wife and I can easily carry both at one time from the car to the water.

Living in Connecticut, our paddling involves a mix of inland and coastal kayaking. We are very satisfied with the performance over a wider range of conditions. Not being overly long has allowed exploring marshes and river channels, however the speed and stability are fine for coastal kayaking. A 4mph cruising speed is easily maintained in favorable conditions. Stability is fine--we have handled offshore swells and wind whipped/white-capped lakes without incident. I would definitely recommend the rudder (or skeg). The high volume design does have a tendency to weathercock in higher winds. The rudder solves that issue. (Also, Olympic gold medalist Greg Barton says a rudder is a much more efficient way of steering than paddle correction.)

Overall, very happy paddlers in our QCC400's